Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Friendliest Store in Town

Ken has had this short poem hanging on his office wall for years. It sums up his outlook on business in one page--

The Friendliest Store in Town
By Edgar A. Guest

If I possesed a shop or store I'd drive the grouches, off my floor;
I'd never let some gloomy guy offend the folks who came by;
I'd never keep a boy or clerk with mental toothache at his work,
Nor let a man who draws my pay drive customers of mine away.

I'd treat the man who takes my time and spends a nickel or a dime
With courtesy, and make him feel that I was pleased to close the deal,
Because tomorrow, who can tell? He may want the stuff I have to sell
And in that case then glad he'll be to spend his dollars all with me.

It is good business to be fair, to keep a bright and cheerful air
About the place, and not to show your customers how much you know
Whatever any patron did I'd try to keep my temper hid,
And never let him spread along the word that I had done him wrong.

The reason people pass one door to patronize another store,
It is not because the busier place has better silks or gloves or lace,
Or cheaper prices, but it lies in pleasant words and smiling eyes;
The only difference, I believe, is in the treatment they receive.

This poem was handed down to my father, Ken, by his grandmother. She was an author herself, and as all grandmas are, full of wisdom.

Just a little bit of fun and hopefully, enlightenment- enjoy your day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use common courtesy and good judgment when posting comments or we will remove them.